Future of Footwear 2012 Skate Winner: Jared Fiorovich

Hopefully you are all hard at work on your submissions for this year’s Future of Footwear class.  The deadline is only days away.  Take a break for minute as we catch up with Jared Fiorovich, 2012 Future of Footwear Skate winner.

Did you have any footwear background prior to the Future of Footwear class?
I’ve been riding a skateboard most my life and have been interested in footwear just as long, I was always trying to find a way to improve performance and durability.  I sketched lots shoes over the years and eventually started deconstruction, reconstructing and making my own shoes to skateboard in. The first big step I took towards shoe design was a class at Art Center by Grant Delgatty in 2011, then I got in to Pensole prep class in 2012.

Tell us about your experience in the Future of Footwear class.
Future of Footwear was one of the best experiences of my life. There was so much information and knowledge to absorb every second, from D’Wayne Edwards to every person who stepped into PENSOLE. It was inspiring to have these amazing individuals helping in the class and with our projects. It made me want to work my hardest and and strive to produce better work.

As part of the class, you where selected to attend the Platform trade show in Las Vegas, what was that like?
Wow! At the Trade show there were shoes and materials as far as the eye can see, it was crazy. It was a great experience to present my project to professionals in the industry and meet new people.

You where selected as the winner of the Future of Footwear in the Skate shoe category.  Can you tell us about your design?’
“The Rebar” Is high top performance skateboard shoe, I designed with ankle protection in mind. The main inspiration for this shoe is  the way skateboarders make pools and DIY skate spots. First they stack ruble or carve earth to the shape of the desired obstacle, Then they bend and lay down rebar to support the form and poor concrete to hold it all together and provide a flowing surface to skate on. I took that concept and and applied it to my design. The embossed underlay is the support like the rebar. The suede is like the smooth flowing concrete, the uninterrupted surface the skateboard comes in contact with. With no seams to blow out in high abrasion areas and attention to the movement of the foot the “Rebar” is a true performance skateboard shoe.

At the Platform trade show, you where presented with a pullover of your design.  What was it like to see a pullover of your design for the first time?
To see the first sample was the coolest thing ever, the shock still hasn’t worn off! My design sewn together and attached to a sole that I designed for skateboarding. When I was a kid I thought the only way to influence a skateboard shoe was to become a pro skateboarder. but now I have a sample of a skate shoe I design with my name on it. Its a dream come true.

What have you been up to over the last 8 months, since I saw you in Las Vegas for the FoF 2012?
Working on many new projects, skateboarding, and exploring the world around me.

What advice do you have for designers looking to be apart of the Future of Footwear class of 2013?
Do “your” best.

Jared, it was good catching up.  Thank your for taking the time.

Register Here to learn more about Future of Footwear 2013